History and Population
The Diocese of Navrongo-Bolgatanga started in 1906 when the Missionaries entered Northern Ghana through Burkina Faso. They first settled in Navrogo and gradually spread throughout northern Ghana. The total land area covered by the Diocese is 31,068 square kilometres. The diocesan population is currently estimated at 1.5 million at a growth rate of 3% per annum. Forty-five percent (45%) of the population is below 14 years old. The female population is higher (52.4%) than the male (47.6%) with the sex ratio of 9:11. The population in the diocese which is predominantly rural is scattered among several small localities with some having very high population density of 260 persons per square kilometre.